The deadline to file for an extension has passed. If you are someone who failed to file for an extension on time you will incur penalties that are retroactive to the tax year. There are a few things that you can do if you find yourself in this situation.

  • Military and support personnel serving in combat zones or hazardous duty areas, taxpayers residing outside US, and certain disaster victims qualify for special extensions for their tax filing and payment obligations.
  • Failing to meet the tax filing deadline may result in penalties and interest due to late filing and overdue payments. It is advisable to seek professional assistance for complex situations.
  • If unable to pay the full amount of taxes owed, it is crucial to still file the tax return on time and explore payment options, such as installment agreements or offers in compromise.
  • Taxpayers who have overpaid throughout the year may be eligible for a refund by accurately filing their tax return and reporting income, deductions, and credits.
  • Refunds can be received through direct deposit, a paper check, or applied towards taxes for the subsequent year.
  • The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) provides a "Where's My Refund?" tool to track the status of a refund.

There are specific circumstances in which taxpayers may qualify for an extension, granting them additional time to submit their tax returns beyond the initial deadline. To meet the criteria for this extension, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has established certain requirements that must be fulfilled:

  1. Automatic Extension: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides individuals with the option of an automatic extension for the filing deadline by submitting Form 4868. It is important to note that interest will accrue on any outstanding tax amounts not paid by the original due date of your return. Furthermore, this extension grants an additional 6-month period for filing your tax return. This application is universally accessible to all individuals, irrespective of their circumstances.
  2. Disaster Relief: In the event of a federally declared disaster, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will grant taxpayers additional time to file their tax returns and make tax payments. If you meet the criteria for this relief, there is no need to request an extension of time for filing or payment. We encourage you to visit the disaster page to determine if you qualify for this extension and to obtain more detailed information regarding this disaster relief.
  3. Military Services: Individuals serving in the military in combat zones or eligible hazardous duty areas frequently receive special extensions for both tax filing and payment obligations. This extension also applies to support personnel serving in combat zones. The duration of the extension is contingent upon specific circumstances and can span from 180 days to 180 days after departing the combat zone or hazardous duty areas.
What If You Missed The Filing Deadline?

If you have missed a filing deadline, it is crucial to take immediate action to address the situation. According to the IRS, taxpayers who owe taxes and miss the filing deadline will be subject to penalties and interest for late filing and delinquent payments. If the situation is complex or has significant legal or financial implications, it is advisable to seek professional assistance from experts who can provide specialized advice tailored to your specific situation and help you navigate the process effectively.

What If You Cannot Pay What Is Due?

If you are unable to pay the full amount of your taxes or take immediate action, it is important to file your tax return on time. You can make a partial payment of what you can afford and explore payment options such as installment agreements or offers in compromise, which are offered by the IRS. If necessary, consider requesting an extension or obtaining a loan. If you are unsure about the best course of action, it is recommended to seek professional advice.

Remember that it is crucial to maintain communication with tax authorities and proactively address your tax situation. Ignoring or avoiding your tax obligations can result in more severe consequences.

What About Your Refund?

When a taxpayer pays more in taxes throughout the year than they owe, they may be eligible for a refund. This situation commonly arises when the amount withheld from their income or estimated tax payments surpasses their actual tax liability.

To claim a refund from the IRS, taxpayers must file their tax return accurately, reporting their income, deductions, and credits. Taxpayers can receive their refund through direct deposit into their bank account, receive a paper check sent by mail, or apply it toward their taxes for the following year. Additionally, taxpayers can track the status of their refund by using the IRS' "Where's My Refund?" tool.


Taxpayers have numerous options available to ensure compliance with tax deadlines and effectively manage payments. Filing accurately is crucial for claiming refunds, which can be received either through direct deposit or a paper check. Furthermore, maintaining transparent and ongoing communication with tax authorities is of utmost importance to proactively address obligations and prevent unfavorable repercussions.

In intricate circumstances, it is highly advisable to seek professional advice. Investor Friendly CPA® boasts a team of experienced experts and professionals who can deliver tailored services to suit your individual needs and specific situations.